Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Heather's baby blanket

Heather's blanketThis blanket was the largest knitted object I had attempted when I started this. I bought the pattern and needles in Lexington at the Stitch Niche.

Pattern: Ribbons Baby Blanket by Fiber Trends (CH-44x). I was attracted to this one because the description called it a Quaker Rib.
Dates: Begun in early December 2006 and finished in early February 2007.
Yarn: Bernat Softee Baby 100% Acrylic - about 2 skeins.
Color: White (02000)
Needles: size 8 bamboo double points for the center, size 8 Bryspun circulars for the rest.
Finished size: Its about 30" x 30". I'll have to check with Heather because I forgot to measure it.
Modifications: I went with the optional raised petal center and really liked it. Other than that I followed the pattern as written.
Lessons learned: The end result would not lay flat, which, of course, I didn't realize until it was off the needles. I thought the center was too loose or something but TF thinks the problem was in the border. The border is just garter stitch but I may have gotten a little tighter and the cast-off was almost certainly too tight.
Comments: This was a great pattern for mindless knitting with the kids around or while watching TV. Each strip is made of either 8 rounds of knitting or 8 rounds of purling. Every other round has an increase on the corners. I have several Fiber Trends patterns and really like them so far.

More photos!

No comments: