Thursday, October 18, 2007

First Socks

I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned this before, but I had one goal in mind when I learned to knit: socks. I don't like crocheted socks so that left knitting. Thus I set out to learn to knit and, of course, got sidetracked by other projects along the way. I also discovered that I really like knitting.

Pattern:
Easy Toddler Socks by Karen Caron at Needles and Wool
Dates: September 2007
Yarn:
Moda Dea Sassy Stripes (100% Acrylic)
Color: 6997 Lucky
Needles: Set of 5 size 1 vintage aluminum DPNs
Finished size: fits Abby’s size 11 foot
Modifications: none
Lessons learned: These were my first socks so I learned everything here: turning the heel, picking up gusset stitches, and kitchener stitching the toe closed. I used the Toe Grafting: Kitchener 101 section of
The Sock Knitter's Companion: Step-by-Step Help by Clara H. Parkes at Knitter's Review to help with the Kitchener stitch.
Comments: I know acrylic isn't normally the greatest choice for socks but there was no way I was going to shell out the money for nicer yarn. The acrylic is just fine for a first pair of socks being given to a 5-year old.

The only reason I was able to complete these socks was thanks to the generosity of a fellow knitter on Ravelry. I didn’t have enough yarn to finish the toe of the second sock so I posted a message asking if anyone had any scraps. Someone did and sent me the yarn as a gift. Knitters are wonderful!

More photos!

No comments: